Thursday, October 11, 2007

40 yr marathon

I promised myself a long time ago that I would run the NYC marathon when I turned 40. So 2 weeks ago to the day, I celebrated my 39th birthday and realized I truly have to get busy in earnest now. This blog is an attempt to journal my progression and training (as well as throw a few thoughts out to the void).

Earlier this week I began a haphazard training and diet regimen that will undergo refinement as time goes on. See, the issue right now is that I feel I'm too fat to start running and the decision here is to walk and adjust my diet until I've lost a few pounds - okay 15 at a minimum... 20 and I'll feel much more comfortable. I'm terrified about what trying to move 255 lbs. along too fast will do to my joints.

Mostly, this is up to me. This is a very solitary goal and the only true outside influence that determines whether or not I am ultimately successful is winning a lottery spot for the marathon. If that doesn't happen, I will be crushed. If it does happen, and I fail because I'm a lazy ass or lose my motivation....well, I have it documented here and no excuses.

Finally for today... this is obviously a work in progress so I'll be adding lots of links to thought-provoking blogs, websites and other online amusements. I'll also let you know what works best for me in the way of workouts and the like and I'll be looking for the best online workout routines for several types of fitness to share with you.

peace,
'nik

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with ya, babe!!! Except I turn 40 in January, so the pressure's on even more. I'm planning for the Hartford Marathon, which is around the same time as the NYC. Consider that as a back-up plan in case you don't get into NYC.

Anonymous said...

Wow-
So sorry to hear about Brandi-
Things were going so well,
I was really hopeful that this would soon be just an unpleasant memory.
Keep taking great care of her and yourself,
and I'll look forward to watching your progress-
Sounds like you might have a running partner in Lisa- Could do worse, she was varsity at ol' BHS...